30 June, 2012

but you're not there

There is something truly special about a goodbye hug. Especially those kinds of goodbyes that are for extended periods of time. There are so many important things happening all at once.


A goodbye hug is your last chance to make a memory with someone you care about. You're remembering that moment and what it feels like to hold them close to you. You're remembering their smell, their height, the way they hug you back, every breath. You're time with this person is precious and extremely limited, so you're looking to make as many memories as you can in these final moments.

During a goodbye hug, you're also enjoying each others company.

Lastly, a part of every goodbye hug is saying "don't leave me." There is absolutely no denying that. If this is someone worth hugging goodbye, then this is someone worth hanging on to.



In about 24 hours I will be hugging one of my best friends goodbye as she embarks on a brilliant new journey. She has joined the Peace Corps an it's just becoming real to me that soon she will be living in Africa for the next two years. I watched her say goodbye to a bunch of her friends last night, and I began to dread when it would be my turn. There is absolutely nothing harder than saying goodbye to someone you love, even if it's not forever.
The last time I did that, it broke my heart. I don't doubt that it'll happen again.

I couldn't sleep tonight. I just sat and thought of goodbyes and hellos, and how both can make you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment